Galleons Lap


I used to be uncomfortable using the term “artist” to describe what I do. To my mind an artist took paint, pencils, paper, clay, and such, and created something that was art. As a photographer I saw myself as someone who observed the world that already existed and made a record of it. The people and the landscapes I photographed were already visually appealing, and they merely whispered to me, metaphorically... “Take my picture – hey you, over here ... there's a photograph here, you just have to find it”.

That was, and often still is, the problem. After catching my attention and calling me over, the picture then hides. It is then up to me to rediscover the image and refine it into a form that the camera can work with. I think that this act of discovery and recording is the art I practice.

In the past few years I have started to refine the images in Photoshop, combining several photographs into one. I find the creative process much more demanding but, for me at least, it is very rewarding. It involves working much more intuitively than I am used to. The time to finish one piece usually spans weeks or even months. I think the results are worth waiting for - and I hope you will too.



The image is called " untitled (to d.flavin) "


Galleons Lap - Atelier & Gallery
103 Park Dr
Salt Spring Island, BC
Canada V8K 2R7
www.glphoto.com
250 538-0182

0 comments:

Post a Comment