Gregg Eligh




I have worked as a commercial photographer for many years. My work calls for me to fulfill the visual and creative challenges designed by a client, a designer, an art director.....for various reasons.....of theirs. I enjoy the demands and opportunities this presents to me. When having very specific technical and creative goals I am nearly always presented with a learning situation. It always improves my range of skills and creative talents.

But often, as with any creative medium, it is always satisfying to cultivate my own challenges and explore subjects driven by my own need to create and explore.
Photography presents a limitless spectrum or subjects and ideas, but I often go back to studying the classic subject of most art forms.....the human figure. I teach students to work with the figure for all the opportunities and boundaries and attitudes that can come with this subject.

There are new views of how the figure can be observed and received when photography is the medium. Sometimes it is viewed with a jaundiced social vision. It demands that the photographer learn from the subject and be aware of the audience.
But there is no more beautiful a subject when observed with well controlled light and a rich sense of aesthetic.

My subjects make themselves available to me from their own sense of creativity and self confidence. They are seldom professional models, but are always people who feel good about themselves and want to test their own boundaries. It is a great learning collaborative exercise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment