Samantha King

BIO:

Samantha King is a portrait photographer residing in Victoria. While most of her client work is portrait based, she also dabbles in the odd commercial job. Samantha holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts, in Visual Arts, from the University of Victoria and a diploma in Professional Photography from Western Academy of Photography. In conjunction with having her own photography business, Samantha works part time at Western Academy, as the assistant technician.


ARTIST STATEMENT:

I am originally a painter – that’s what I primarily studied while completing my degree. Though I love painting, in my final year of school I moved into the realm of photography. Photography allowed me to explore themes that I was unable to achieve through the process of paint on canvas.

One of these themes is “voyeurism”. I have been intrigued with this topic for many years now. This interest has grown to include explorations into the topics of human relationships, female sexuality, the sex trade and private acts in public places.

I like to photograph found things and places and then juxtapose them with a “staged” element. In doing this, I strive to create a story. I love movie stills and find work that inspires narrative to be captivating. I like for the viewers to form their own interpretation.

“don’t tell mama” is part of a continuing body of work that I started in 2007. This series uses the culture of Las Vegas as a backdrop for a further study of voyeurism.

0 comments:

Post a Comment